ALAUX 015-18 POLICY CLARIFICATION - AUXILIARY INFLATABLE PFDS
Posted by COMO Susan Davies on 05 July 2018 11:42 AM
05 JUL 2018
SUBJ: POLICY CLARIFICATION - AUXILIARY INFLATABLE PFDS
1. Recently, the Office of the Auxiliary (CG-BSX-1) worked with the Office of Boat Forces (CG-731) to clarify policy regarding the use of inflatable personal floatation devices (PFDs) for Auxiliary surface operations personnel. A copy of the policy letter, the MD-3183 (series) PFD Personal Qualification Standard (PQS), and the MD-3183 v34 Maintenance Procedure Card (MPC) have been posted to Auxiliary National Response Directorate website. Copied below is the text from the Office of Boat Forces Policy Letter.
Subj: POLICY LETTER CLARIFICATION 05-18. AUXILIARY INFLATABLE PFDS
1. PURPOSE. This letter clarifies Auxiliary use of inflatable PFDs.
2. ACTION. Area commanders shall make their district commanders, Boat Forces Unit Commanding Officers (CO), Officers in Charge (OIC), Order Issuing Authorities (OIA), and Directors of Auxiliary aware of this Boat Forces Policy Letter and its contents.
3. BACKGROUND. Reference (a) establishes policy, equipment standards, procedures and procurement authorization for the use, configuration, maintenance and logistics of rescue and survival equipment used by Coast Guard personnel (including Auxiliary personnel) operating on or near the water. Reference (b) requires all Auxiliarists wear a CG approved PFD while on patrol under orders. Reference (c) requires that all PFDs on an Auxiliary facility be CG approved. Reference (a), Part 2, Chapter 4, section A.9 lists the Non-CG Approved Automatic/Inflatable PFDs authorized for use by Coast Guard personnel but does not list any CG approved inflatable PFDs. Currently, the Mustang Survival MD-3183 v34 is the only CG approved inflatable PFD authorized for use by Auxiliary personnel. The MD 3183 v34 is the only inflatable PFD that meets CG approval standards, has a unique Surface Forces Logistics Center (SFLC) Maintenance Procedure Card (MPC KB0143.0), and is available as a model with required CG Auxiliary markings. Because of lack of policy, non-CG approved inflatable PFDs were purchased and issued to Auxiliary members which conflicts with PFD requirements outlined in references (b) and (c).
4. DIRECTIVES AFFECTED. Reference (a), Part 2, Chapter 4, section A will be updated with the following: