ALAUX 011-16 Prohibition of Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS)
Posted by COMO Susan Davies on 16 October 2016 12:34 PM
This Mailing List is a One-way list from the Chief Director to the Membership. Questions need to be routed though the appropriate Chain of Leadership and Management. Messages sent to this list are automatically discarded.|
SUBJ: Prohibition of Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) -011/16
1. Due to the rapid proliferation of available, affordable, and highly-capable commercial Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS), COMDT (CG-7) released ALCOAST 331/16 on 14SEP16. This ALCOAST specifically prohibited the acquisition and operation of UAS by Coast Guard units without the express permission of CG-711.
2. This prohibition applies to members of the Coast Guard Auxiliary. Auxiliarists are prohibited from operating UAS in the performance of any authorized Auxiliary activity under any circumstance, including prohibition from operating UAS for testing or prototyping purposes.
3. The potential exists for UAS capabilities to be offered to the Coast Guard by Auxiliarists. The Chief Director is chartering a working group to explore a way forward which would enable Auxiliary members to operate UAS on behalf of Coast Guard Order Issuing Authorities. This working group will be staffed by representatives from Coast Guard Program Offices, including CG-711/41/1131, Auxiliary national staff members, and Auxiliary members from PACAREA, LANTAREA West and LANTAREA East.
4. The Chief Director is currently soliciting experienced UAS operators to apply to be members of the working group in order to add their subject matter expertise to the discussion. Interested members should email their UAS resume to Commodore Karel Kester, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. The purpose of this list is to keep Auxiliarists as well as all other interested parties abreast of current developments, policies, manuals, etc. All information contained herein and linked is OFFICIAL policy and
6. Internet Release and Distribution is Authorized.