TIPS FOR INSERTING A GOOGLE CALENDAR INTO YOUR WOW II SITE
Many flotillas like to keep track of unit activities via Google Calendar, and then like to display the calendar on the WOW web site. This note describes the steps to add a Google Calendar to WOW.
- Create Google calendar using a (free) Gmail account.
- Share the calendar to “Public”. NOTE that this calendar will now be visible and searchable by the public, as such, no private, Official Use Only, or OpSec information may be listed on the calendar.
- Go to Calendar > Settings > Calendars.
- Click on your own calendar’s name.
- This takes you to your own calendar’s name details.
- Near the center of the page is a box containing HTML code beginning with <iframe. Do not use this HTML code. Instead:
- Click on the blue link above the HTML code: Customize the color, size, and other options.
- Select the desired options for how your calendar will appear on your WOW II site. Be sure to change the Width from 800 to 560.
- At the top of the page near the center, click on the “Update HTML” button.
- Then select and copy all of the HTML code in the box at the top of the page.
IN WOW II:
- Log on to your WOW II site.
- Click the “Configure Site” button on the menu bar.
- Add new menu item (Calendar).
- Customize Menu with Page Title, Menu Order, Menu Level, and protection level desired.
- Click on “Save Menu.”
- Click “Add New Announcement.”
- At the bottom of the announcement box, “Normal” will be selected by default. Change this to “HTML.”
- Paste your previously copied HTML code into the HTML box on the page.
- Click the “Save” button.
- Click “Return to Unit Page” on the left side menu.
- At this point, you should be able to see your Google calendar on your WOW II site.
- Add, change, or delete items on your Google menu and the same additions, changes, or deletions will sync to your WOW II Calendar page automatically.
Source: Kevin Redden, DVC-UC